Recently most of my efforts have been concentrated on one subject: controls.
Unit controls are very important because it’s your main way of interacting with the game. I am inspiring myself from popular games like starcraft or age of empire. Right clicking will move your units, left click will deselect or confirm a prompt, etc. I already had a formation system and some pathfinding in place, but I needed to push the AI further and finish all the actions units can do in the game. While I was at it I also added a lot of random improvements.
Here is the complete list:
- Around a 100 new sounds (!!!)
- Fog of war ( this one was a big one )
- Action bar for units and buildings
- Unit recruiting from buildings
- Unit queue of buildings on HUD
- Hunting and Ressource gathering for settlers
- New AI actions such as “escaping” for animals
- Mounting units inside structures and attacking from them
- 4 new tree variations
- Re-animated catapult
- Build menu for units that can build
- Better targetting, units respond better to incoming attacks
- Better squad position system ( right click and drag to spread the formation)
- Portrait and name display
- Resources and cost display
- Population cap based on buildings
- Better targetting of structures (walls are always chosen last)
- Custom cursors
- Unit selection
- Day / Night cycle
- Lights on buildings
- + a lot of bug fixes and general code cleaning.
Next will be more map editor features and scenarios!
I am leaving you with those screenshots: